Sunday, August 7, 2011

Stock Futures and Dead Soldiers

"You're just a virgin who CAN'T DRIVE."

I've driven more in the last week than I have in years. As I am not a sexually active person, it would be safe to say I have driven more than I have had sex. Both activities are metaphors for freedom and later, responsibility.

So this week has been filled with crashes of all sorts, financial and helicopter and the world spins madly on. Even from the safety of my air-conditioned tomb and rapidly expanding library, current events seep through with the circulated air. These are dark times. While they are no darker than periods previous, it seems like the atmosphere is tinged with a bit more anxiety and the whiff of fear is redolent on the sporadic summer breezes.

There is a large framed portrait of Marilyn Monroe that my niece and nephew have recently noticed. Biz, 5, remarked on her beauty as did my nephew Roman, 3. They asked me when they could meet her. I told them she was dead. They wanted to know how. I decided not to answer that question. Then we spiraled into a frank discussion about death and dying. All this while making Mac n' Peas. Rationality is not lost on children. They know they will die. I will die probably before them and so on.

The future is happening and there is no return policy.

10 comments:

sbo said...

Hello there, simply become alert to your weblog thru Google, and fosbobetund that it’s really informative. I’m gonna watch out for brussels

Bryn said...

Well said. Appreciate your writing voice. More, please!

Troy Bohlke said...

Interesting point of view and I agree with most of what you say.

halong bay vietnam said...

This subject interests me greatly and I think what you said is right on.

Anonymous said...

I am very interested in this field ., Thanks for sharing the information as so with me Troy Bohlke

Troy Bohlke said...

The information on this blog is always stimulating to read.

Unknown said...

The information on this blog is always stimulating to read. buy facebook followers

Unknown said...

Thank you for stimulating my brain with this bright and observant post. Forex FBS

lol accounts said...

You should definitely participating in or writing about Android os video games, he or she usually spends his or her occasion with is girl in addition to kid.TwitterTelltale Video game titles possesses launched a new launch trailer for sequel inside their Bet on Thrones serial as well as and also the house trailer is a liberation date intended for Instance 3.Thankfully that individuals will not likely should waiting miss that adjacent show to be removed. boost lol
boosting lol

Aakash said...

Thank YOu For Sharing This Article I Really Enjoy It

Roller Shutter Repair

Roller Shutter Repair Services Blog