Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Pixies - UK Surf

St. Anthony,
You once told me, or we agreed, that the ennui was underwhelming. I am having such a hard time going to work, staying at work. I am tired in a way that has nothing to do with empiricism. When Sam told me I was #1 at saying things that make people uncomfortable, I would gladly give up that title. I have lost the part of myself that cares about what people think, in general, or about me, which I find insignificant on too many levels. Please, fucking impress me. Entertain me. Say something that is mildly true, engaging or hilarifying. Be more like the id, which is why they love him, or the pathological liar, which is why she is fun at parties. Or be genuine, which might startle people into good behavior. I agree that much is made of "super sized" personas, the desire for rehab from the ordinary, polyamorously perverse. I think earnest goodwill should be the new gossip mill fodder. But until that day comes, I will entertain myself by not respecting the notion of propriety. By allowing my affection for those I am surrounded by to dictate the foulness I will load into a cannon of emotional shrapnel and cheap shots. Highbrow is for the supercilious. I will take a double entendre, no chaser.

A small intermission from my usual literary inclinations, I hate work. I hate parties with a bunch of under age kids who think Hawaiian Punch is a chaser. I hate people who also hate these things but cant stand being alone and would rather sit and guttersnipe than do something else, or go home. I hate insincerity and people who are not good humored or goodnatured.

I know I am a douche bag. Tell me something that would surprise me or that would at least show an ounce of perception.

The Modern Day Pagliacci

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

btw, this is St. Anthony's favorite version of 'wave of mutilaciĆ³n'

unless you were talking about St. Anthony Bourdain. then I dont really know.