Monday, April 12, 2010

Astrology and/of The Avatar


Kingsley,

I was writing you a letter this weekend, to be transcribed onto the internet, to save you from my handwriting, as I know you hate that sort of thing. All the type is the same, the subtext is not underlined on the internet. But I was looking at my bookshelf and this book jumped out at me. I let you borrow it and we both loved it. I remember I got it a this huge discount book bin that mysteriously disappeared shortly after, like a Twilight Zone storyline. I thought about hipster culture deifying as only atheists can, the outdated and the forgotten. I hope we all learn Morse code as a lesson in moronic protest. My only worry for us is languishing in entropy, as the mundane becomes more attainable, and more desirable. I doubt we will ever lose interest in the fascination of ourselves in this universal backdrop of dead stars and variations. I love this mixtape site and the circle jerk of like-minded "purists". It's like arguing over heroin in NYC, circa 1975.

This post belongs to Joseph Campbell, Tom Robbins, Woody Allen and the Avatar.

Over 10 years ago, this friend of a friend introduced me to astrology. I suppose most of my friends have this person to blame for my categorizing based upon star sign, rising sign, moon and my mood at the time of introduction. It has also shaped my interest in semiotics, language, psychology, literature and pop culture. I love movements, what makes something fit and what excludes - Nothing includes like exclusion fits in this sentiment. It also complements my fascination with chaos theory and ordered randomness by putting things in boxes only to set them on fire. These cursory expositions on personality with their quaint adjectives and engaging anecdotes prove that as much as you know something, you know that there is room for doubt, without a doubt.

I watched Swimming Pool, which was great. I love a movie that can still pack a surprise in the last five minutes, like Vertigo. I also watched Everyone Says I Love You, Woody's foray into musicals. I suppose he will never get over NYC, himself, and his love for erudition seeking sex. I dont think I will either.

http://8tracks.com/obscenester/i-don-t-need-a-genius-to-have-a-good-time

No comments: