Thursday, April 8, 2010

My Victorian Perversions, and You


In attempt to be less of crashing bore, and less withdrawn, and inspired by my fellow bloggers/RL friends, I am going to try to keep you updated with my cultural consumption and the inevitable droppings (via poop and bombs). The more I withdraw and consider my position in life, the more I realize my affection/loathing for Woody Allen, Baumbach, Anderson(s)(Paul Thomas and Wes) as showing me my own life as someone with education and emptiness in equal measure. The descendants of the tennis set and welfare checks combine to make one surly, and dimly hopeful. Cleverness is not going to save you, anymore than Christ. So I'll leave with you a witticism of my own devising: "These are the days when Christ gets you paid and Dylan gets you laid."


Cat's Cradle - (Did you know Vonnegut got a Master's degree in Anthropology for this?)
Spook- Mary Roach. Science and its shenanigans with the search for the soul.
Blind Assassin - Margaret Atwood. Phenom noir novel within novel. Great aphorisms.
Following the Sun - A Bicycle Pilgrimage from Andalusia to the Hebrides. Wow, I know I am kind of a douche, but in the best possible way. Same with this guy, biking with his old Peugeot from Spain to Scotland, from the Spring Equinox to the Summer Solstice.

21 Grams, Lost in Translation, Veronica Mars, Buffy, X-Files, A Serious Man, Broken Embraces and most importantly, Avatar: The Last Airbender.

I like my myths violent, my enlightenment self sufficient and my comedy understated.

Liking EmilĂ­ana Torrini, Anais Mitchell, twee and Paul Simon a lot right now.

Any suggestions will be taken into consideration, or at least reviewed.

No comments: